The company was founded in 1897 by a Bulwell man Charlie Terry of Main Street. A joiner by trade owning a workshop in Milton Street. He always had aspirations to go into the funeral business.
Charlie began at his Main Street home by using the downstairs as a shop by selling headstones and monumental masonry with the help of his son Victor. A compulsory purchase order was forced the joinery workshop to move to Newcastle Street in 1967.
A small chapel of rest was built at Newcastle Street and this was the sign of the funeral business growing. Charlie’s death in 1972 left Victor in charge of the business and he was joined by his grandson Michael in 1982.
By this time, the company was more involved in the funeral business and the extension to the Newcastle Street premises reflected this. The chapel of rest was extended and an office and preparation room completed making it a self contained funeral directors.
Unfortunately Victor Terry never lived to see the completed premises as his sudden death in 1985 left the running of the business to his wife Ivy and Grandson Michael. Victor and Ivy’s son John then joined his son Michael in the funeral business.
The joinery Business was then dropped and the funeral business increased initially just starting with 70 funerals per year. John and Michael’s dedication increased the amount of funerals carried out each year.
John and Michael outgrew the premises on Newcastle Street and in 1991 had a purpose built site on Bulwell High Road where the present business continues to run. Michael’s wife Kim joined the business in 1996 to assist in the day to day running of the office.
Michael and Kim’s Son, George has now joined the business being the fifth generation of the Terry family to help run the business.
A Family owned and run business which continues to serve Bulwell and Nottingham.